I had to share this tonight. I often complain about how difficult it is to get Demetri to fall asleep on his own and/or to get him to sleep through the entire night, but I must say that no matter how hard it is, I look forward to bedtime more than any other time of the day. Not because I will finally get some peace and can finally conquer my ever-growing To-Do list (although that is a HUGE perk), but because it is such a special time for Demetri and I. Every night before bed, we rock in his glider chair and read 2-3 stories. His favorites are "Brown Bear, Brown Bear," "On the Night You Were Born," and his personalized "Demetrios" book. He kisses all the pages of his book before bed...something he recently started doing. There's pictures of mommy, daddy, giagia, pappou, grandma, grandpa, Nikki, and his whole family together (yes - me, Scott, baby Demetri, and Nikki). He goes through each page and kisses each person. It is, by far, the sweetest thing I have ever seen him do. It just makes my heart smile...especially when he kisses pappou (my dad who he was named after). After we read our stories, I sing to him while we rock with the lights off. I have been singing the same songs to him since the day he was born. Lullabye by the Dixie Chicks (see video), What a Wonderful World, and Stand By Me. I love when he rest his head on my chest and "hums" along.
I just put my little monkey to bed, and just had to share how relaxed I feel. Our bedtime routine is such a stress reliever. I let go off all my worries and the one million things going through my head, and just focus on the most important thing in my life...my son. Words cannot describe how amazing motherhood is.
No comments:
Post a Comment